At Lacewood Designs we realise that it’s great having a new kitchen, but it’s even more important what you DO with it!
I am ALWAYS trying to find new family recipes that are simple and tasty- and with a 1 year old it’s important to me that the meals are also healthy and nutritious.
For this reason, we’ve decided to share some of our favourite recipes with you all – to give you ideas for family-friendly, healthy meals. Please share these with friends and give us any feedback about how you have changed or improved the dishes.
Today we bring you ‘Courgettes à la Lacewood’
As a child I HATED courgettes! To this day I find them quite disgusting if they are simply boiled and served plain, but I have discovered some handy tips for making courgettes taste much better. The following meal is the best yet….we can’t get enough of it!
- 1 courgette per person, thinly sliced and chopped in half.
- Glug of Oil (we use Olive oil)
- Garlic (1 big or 2 little cloves, finely chopped)
- Pasta (We have used taglietelle, fusilli, spaghetti and penne before)
- Lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Chilli (powder or flakes)
- Cheese (any kind)
- Chorizo, pancetta, ham
1. Put the pasta in a saucepan of boiling water on a medium heat. – Use as much pasta as you would for each person when making a bolognaise.
2. Place courgettes in a frying pan with the chopped garlic and the oil. Fry on a medium heat until courgettes are lightly browned and very soft (should take about 7 or 8 minutes).
3. While the courgettes are cooking, grate some cheese, chop up your chorizo and squeeze the lemon.
4. When courgettes are nearly cooked, throw in the chopped chorizo, a few chilli flakes or powder (optional!) and the juice of half a lemon (or a good few drops of lemon juice). Cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
5. Drain pasta and serve onto plates. Share the courgette and chorizo mixture between all plates. Now grate a generous amount of cheese on top of each dish.
6. Dig in!
The beauty of this meal is that most of the ingredients can be subsituted. There is no need for meat or chilli and you could use rice instead of pasta.