This has got to be one of our favourite family recipes! Easy to prepare, packed full of vegetables, sweet and hearty – perfect for the cold Winter weather.
Sausage and Honey-Glazed Root Veg
- Large glug of oil (we use Olive oil)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 Red Onions
- 3 Medium Parsnips
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Medium Carrots
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- 8-12 sausages (2-3 per person) – For feeding little ones, try to find sausages with the highest meat content and lowest salt.
- Peas/Sweetcorn/Courgette to serve
- Rosemary to garnish
1. Set the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
2. Scrub the parsnips, sweet potatoes and carrots and chop into similar size pieces.
3. Place the root veg in a roasting tin and pour over the olive oil and honey. Mix the veg until all is lightly covered in oil and try to avoid the veg pieces overlapping in the tin.
4. Roughly chop each red onion in half and then in half again. Separate larger pieces of onion and simply throw the lot over the root veg. Do the same with the garlic.
5. Place your roasting tin in the oven for approximately 15 mins then remove and gently turn the vegetables.
6. Place the sausages on top of the root veg and return to the oven for approximately 30 mins. It is adviseable to turn the sausages after 15 minutes and remove the tray early if the veg starts to brown too much.
7. Serve with minted peas, sweetcorn or courgette ribbons cooked in a little lemon. – We make our courgette ribbons by slicing vertically with a potato peeler.
8. Garnish with rosemary if you fancy and dig in!
For a variation on this meal, why not try chicken breasts instead of sausages, add white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes or perhaps add a little chilli to the veg for more of a kick?